Conservation and Management
Conservation & Management
It is the mission of the AWHF to provide support and assistance for the effective conservation and management of the African sites that are already inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List. Climate Change, for instance, has been identified as one of the most serious threats to the natural and cultural environment, and forms a threat to the value and integrity of World Heritage Sites.
The AWHF is giving grants to projects suggested by site managers in Africa. These can be anything from improving a site’s management plans, mapping of visitor facilities and fighting animal poaching. The AWHF also encourages the inclusion of climate change related risks into the management plans of Africa’s World Heritage Sites. Furthermore, the AWHF assists in organising workshops addressing issues such as World Heritage Sites in post conflict areas in Africa. You can read more about our current and previous projects below.
- Assisting in developing regional Tentative Lists
- Assisting World Heritage Sites in Post Conflict Regions of Africa.
- Supporting the Removal of World Heritage Sites from the List of Sites in Danger.
- Support for African Park Rangers
- Promoting Low Impact Tourism in Serengeti – Tanzania
- Workshop on the preparation of draft Statement of Outstanding Universal Value – Tanzania
- Assisting in the revision of nomination file for the Kaya Sacred Forests, Kenya – a deferred nomination
- Preparation of a nomination dossier of Kenya Lakes System (successfully inscribed on the World Heritage List in 2011)
- Improving the management of natural World Heritage Sites in West Africa
- Promotion and development of Sine Ngayene and Wanar Stone Circles – Senegal and Gambia
- Conservation and adaptive reuse of CFAO building – Gambia
- Assisting in developing the nomination file for Meroe in Sudan
- Publication of legal measures on Grand Bassam Historical Town – Cote d’Ivoire
- Stabilization of the ruins of Loropeni World Heritage Site – Burkina Faso
- Seminar on “Heritage and Poverty Alleviation” in Sao Tome
Assisting in developing the nomination file for the site of Mbanza Kongo in Angola
- Preparation of a management plan of Tsodilo World Heritage Site – Botswana
- Development of an Education and Awareness-Raising Programme at Chongoni World Heritage Rock Art Site – Malawi
- Assisting Lesotho in preparing a national inventory, a tentative list, and a trans- boundary nomination for the Ukhlamba Drakensberg.
- Research on World Heritage Sites in Africa – in collaboration with the University of Witwatersrand, South Africa
- Assisting in the creation of a new Management plan development for Ilha de Mozambique World Heritage Site and a tentative list for Mozambique