WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Investing in heritage
Everything You Need To Know
In order to maximize impact at site level, the procedures, criteria and format for AWHF grant-making are aligned with those for international assistance under the World Heritage Fund. As a general principle, assistance from the AWHF requires that the recipient organization has secured matching funding from other sources.
Request for proposals and assistance is open to all African member states that have ratified the 1972 UNESCO World Heritage Convention.
- Countries/Region – Africa
- Projects activities are restricted to World Heritage Sites as declared by UNESCO.
- Project proposals MUST address challenges affecting the State of Conservation of selected World Heritage property.
- Who can apply? Government institutions involved in the management and protection of World Heritage Sites.
- The application must be approved by Head/Director of heritage institution/organization accompanied by a cover letter endorsing the project.
Duration & Budget
The projects MUST be implemented within 12 months.
- AWHF grant will only cover direct costs related to the project activities.
- b) Applicants should provide detailed budget in US$ for every activity to be implemented;
- Applicants should indicate the State Parties’ contribution to the project.
- Application form (English and French versions) can be downloaded from the AWHF website www.awhf.net
- Completed applications should be submitted via email (as attachment) to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline. Hard copies and supporting documents can be submitted to the following address: The African World Heritage Fund, 1258 Lever Road, Headway Hill, Midrand 1685, South Africa.
Evaluation and selection process
All applications will be assessed before the final decision is made. The assessment will be based on but not limited to the following:
- Relevance and contribution of the project to addressing challenges at a particular World Heritage property;
- Quality and to what extent is the project proposal innovative;
- Accurate and realistic budget.
Before considering submission, potential applicants are urged to understand application procedures as outlined in the AWHF website.
How to Apply
Application forms both in English and French can be downloaded electronically from the AWHF website and both electronic and hard copies of the application should be submitted to:
Mr. Albino Jopela
Head of Programmes
African World Heritage Fund
1258 Lever Road, Headway Hill,
P.O. Box 1234,
Want to learn more about Africa World Heritage Fund?
See our Heritage Sites
Who is our partners?
Everyone making a difference!