On behalf of the African World Heritage Fund (AWHF) and the organising team of the African World Heritage Day Celebrations, Mr. Souayibou Varissou, Executive Director of AWHF expresses his sincere gratitude to you for tuning into the Zoom/Webinar Seminar held on 5th May about “Youth, Entrepreneurship and Heritage Sustainability in Africa”. It is the mandate of AWHF to engage with you about the protection and promotion of African heritage.
The aim of the event was to acknowledge the successes of the continent in its efforts to increase global awareness about African heritage and to mobilise cooperation for its safeguarding. The digital ZOOM/Webinar platform we embarked on, marks the beginning of a quest to encourage innovative ideas for sustainable development.
Being a category II Centre under the auspices of UNESCO and as part of our mandate to carry the 1972 Convention concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage, it is always important for the African World Heritage Fund (AWHF) to highlight and promote our diverse natural and cultural heritage.
Please take note below for your reference, the programme of the day as well as the content shared by our speakers:
- AWHD 5th May ZOOM/Webinar Seminar 2020 – Programme
- Mr. Vusumuzi Mkhize, Chairperson of the African World Heritage Fund (AWHF) – Remarks
- Mrs. Angela Martins, Head of Culture for Social Affairs – African Union Commission (AUC) – Remarks
- Dr. Mechtild Rössler, Director – UNESCO World Heritage Centre (WHC) – Remarks
- Ms. Teressa Jaquinta, ICCROM – Senior Project Manager (Partnerships & Member States) – Remarks
- Ms. Mercy Mbogelah, Site Manager for Ruins of Kilwa Kisiwani and Ruins of Songo Mnara World Heritage Site – United Republic of Tanzania – Remarks
- Mr. Pierre Kafando, Site Manager for Salonga National Parks World Heritage Site – Democratic Republic of the Congo (DR Congo) – Remarks
- Mr. Michael Sudarkasa, Chief Executive Officer of Africa Business Group (ABG) – Presentation
- Ms. Njeri Mbure, AWHF Youth Forums Alumni – Remarks