Investing in heritage
The AWHF is administered under South African law as a UNESCO Category II Centre. The UNESCO Category 2 Centers contribute to the strategic objectives of UNESCO, implementing its mandate throughout the world. As a member of this large family, it contributes to increasing the visibility, relevance and impact of UNESCO’s programmes..
AWHF is registered as a trust and located at the Development Bank of Southern Africa (DBSA) in Midrand, South Africa.
Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees is the principal organ of AWHF, with full decision-making authority and responsibility for the operation and functioning of the Fund.
The AWHF Board of Trustees consists of representatives of the five regions in Africa, UNESCO, the African Union, professional members, South Africa (host country) and Advisor to the Board. The following is a list of the current Board members:
- Mr. Vusithemba Ndima, Deputy Director General of Sport, Arts and Culture, South Africa, Chairperson (Trustee)
- Mr. Soma Mambrou (Burkina Faso), Representative for the West Africa Region
- Dr. Hamida Ghmari Rhouma (Tunisia), Representative for the North Africa Region
- H.E. Mr. Ernest Niyokindi, Director General, Bilateral Relations, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Burundi representing Central Africa Region
- Mrs. Dorren S. Katusiime (Uganda) Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Tourism, Wildlife and Antiquities, Representative for the East Africa Region
- H.E. Mr. Albertus Aochamub, Ambassador of Namibia to France, Spain, Italy and Portugal and Permanent Delegate of Namibia to UNESCO, Representative for the Southern Africa Region (Trustee)
- H.E. Cessouma Minata Samate (Burkina Faso), Commissioner for Health, Humanitarian Affairs and Social Development, African Union Commission
- Mr. Lazare Eloundou, UNESCO Representative
- (Professional member)
- Mr. Martin Jaravaza, Director Tacama Consulting (Professional member)
- Ms. Lebogang Matlala, (South Africa), (Professional member)
- Ms. Flora Mokgohloa (South Africa), Deputy Director General, Department of Fisheries, Forestry and Environment (Trustee)
Patrons are international eminent personalities appointed to act as goodwill ambassadors for the AWHF. They champion the objectives of the Fund and also reinforce the fundraising efforts. The following are the current AWHF Patrons:
His Excellency Mr. Pedro de Verona Rodrigues Pires
Former President of the Republic of Cabo Verde
Dr Christina Cameron
Professor at Montreal University, Canada
Mr. Souayibou Varissou
Dr. Albino Jopela
Head of Programmes
Ms. Veronica Maduna
Head of Partnerships
Mr. Jacob Nyangila
Mrs. Bridget Dube
Partnerships Officer: Fundraising
Ms. Precious Mothiba
Partnerships Officer: Communications
Ms. Tsholofelo Legae
Ms. Prisca Lete
Mr. Unathi Maposa
Ms. Josceline Kabeya
Get the Latest News & Updates
We would like to keep you up to date with all the news. Look out for our newsletters and learn more about upcoming events and achievements.
Want to learn more about the African World Heritage Fund?
See our Heritage Sites
Who are our partners?
Everyone making a difference!